Move over Dark Purple Stuff…..
I am writing this more as an appendix of sorts, something that I can refer back to when I need to be reminded of the various things I can do to NATURALLY (or, at least with a caffeinated or confectionary drug that is not alcohol) to get some of that D.
Dopamine, you pervert. I’m kidding. It would be pure irony for me to call someone a pervert. I make some sort of D joke multiple times a day, whether it be new creative ways of using solely the letter D in some sort of new “giving the D” expression or the even more juvenile luring people into a “(D)eez Nuts” trap. I actually was quite disappointed to see my daily attempts at “D-Day reinvention” and creativity-jousting/terrorizing my wife become a bit of a trend on TikTok. I all but thought I was the chosen one that created the noble copyright behind the “Vitamin D” joke only for several TikTok couples to use the “Ugh, I need some sun!”/“Oh I could give you some Vitamin D [winky face]” punchline.
So let’s get to the list of Dopamine Discovery, or Double D’s, or simply living life in D-Style [several winky faces]. Maybe if I want to channel creativity into something non teenage boy for once, I could try to put this into the lyrics of “These are a few of my favorite things.” Let’s start obvious and broad, then get niche. To be clear, these are more mental highs than put solely into the actual dopamine category, but you get it.
- Succeeding/Being Praised/Recognition. Sincerely compliment someone today out of the blue. They will remember it for weeks/years. My first ever emergency therapy session at 21 (studying abroad in London) the female counselor said, “you’re a good looking bloke — things are going to be okay” and its as if she etched it on my soul.
- Mental High-Five of Hardwork — not superficial work like checking email or doing the marginal things on your to-do list but the deep focus don’t want to move until you finish this type. The feeling after the email you write and read-over 12 times briefly explaining the report or presentation you just created.
- Paying it back. To quote Tim McGraw, “Help the next one in line, always be humble and kind.” An entire entry could go to this — but this really is the ultimate.
- Anticipation (sending or receiving a naughty or risqué text)
- Planning a trip (The Yale Happiness course suggests we get as much or not more happiness from planning and going through the intended itinerary than going on the trip itself)
- A “treat break” — going for your walk of coffee, stopping for a Diet Coke or a cookie, or as simple as remember to take your Flintstones vitamins.
- Remembering you have a good show/book left for later. Save particular juicy parts for Sunday Night Blues.
- That feeling AFTER the gym or sex (sure, I’ve also heard sex itself is cool). You’re always happy you took the time despite any nagging reservations beforehand. “Yes! a Tuesday! We still got it — the girl chain is going to be so impressed”
- Flirting/Attraction/Girl at gym. Will leave it there.
- Getting mail/package. Anything handwritten in this age.
- Naps/cozy time/anything with a weighted blanket.
- Organizing. The Power of Habit had a good take on this — people at first didn’t like Febreeze because they couldn’t overly smell it and get that mental reminder that they just cleaned. Same feeling as getting in your car after a full car wash. So much more could be put here — organizing your office space to feel like a boss lady, putting a flower/candle out, etc. Clean hotel room. The concept of freshness.
- Pets Snuggles (haven’t had one for awhile, but I remember!)
- Controversial one — but scrolling over to a certain Social Media app. Seeing someone responded to you. Pretty much anything with a bright notification. It certainly causes synapses to fire. I found those old memes that show the green text message box on the iPhone saying “negative 1” so funny; if you wake up after maybe a 12 hour mini-depressive hibernation like me and wake up to no texts you are like WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK.
- Fresh tracks on the mountain. Seeing anything untouched in nature. Seeing a wild animal and pretending you’re on a National Geographic expedition. Nature sounds during meditation do this as well. Also, “I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean”
- Massage/spa day. Somewhat sheepish to admit the anticipation before THAT kind of massage is absolutely off the charts (don’t judge, was a long time ago). Porn likely sadly falls in this same cheap thrills bulletpoint.
- That throwback beat on the radio or the new favorite song. Supermarkets seem to be on to us with this with Hall & Oates.
- Someone confiding in you.
- Random acts of kindness.
- Being Right/Forecasting something. You can tell why those Robinhood Apps and crypto are so addicting.
- Hot Tubs. Time Machines.
- Looking at an old picture.
- Dance Cams at sporting events.
- Practical Jokes.
That’s all for now, please add some of your favorites! Non-substance community, keep not choosing that purple drank.